WELCOME to Traveling, Writing, Blogging!
Hi! I’m Lois Templin. Traveling, Writing, Blogging combines my passion for seeing the world with my passion for writing. I was bitten by the wanderlust bug as a child and there is no place in the world I am not interested in seeing. I love experiencing new places, meeting new people, and seeing the sites made famous by history or by modern social media. I treasure the memories made with family and friends and relish each of the adventures from weekend get-a-ways to elaborate vacations oversees.
We’ve been fortunate enough to see over a dozen different countries and to live in Germany for two years. Our travels have included amazing adventures from the unique to the adventurous.
Some of the highlights of our travels include:
- Watching hot air balloons floating outside our window while staying at the hilltop Dolder Grand Hotel overlooking Zurich, Switzerland. The Dolder Grand is considered one of the world’s most luxurious hotels, and everything about it lived up to its reputation.
- Traveling by train through France, Switzerland, and Spain, watching the landscape change through the train windows and sleeping to the sway of the cars rocking on the tracks.
- Being mesmerized by the grace and beauty of eagle rays in the wild while scuba diving off the coast of Costa Rica.
- White water rafting in Costa Rica with white knuckles! Our guide had spent the night before partying and had yet to sleep, but he still managed to bring our entire raft safely to our final destination while other guides had to contend with passengers suffering scratches, bruises, and even broken bones. Truly one of the most exhilarating adventures to date!
- Touring around southern Ireland with family all packed into a rental car, visiting castles and enjoying the local pubs.
- Spending the holidays in the German home of family friends, visiting the famous German Christmas Markets, and taking part in the family traditions on Christmas Eve.
- Road-tripping with friends into the eastern German city of Dresden just a year after the wall came down, unifying West Germany and East Germany. The countryside of eastern Germany is some of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen, and the culture shock of the region so recently released from the influence of communism was the most extreme I’ve ever experienced.
- Seeing the Mona Lisa at the Louvre in Paris, along with so many other notable works of art. I loved watching the aspiring artists painting their own versions of the masterpieces.
- Sailing the Virgin Islands on a 70’ sailboat, anchoring where our hearts desired, catching fresh lobster while scuba diving, exploring the islands, and swimming in caves.
- Standing in the midst of the ancient ruins of Athens and Delphi, and hiking to the hilltop monasteries in Meteora, Greece.
- Staying in the famous cave houses of Santorini, looking out over the iconic blue roofs to the beautiful sea below.
- Touring Scotland with my then 4-year-old son, looking for dragons in the castles and the infamous monster in the famous Loch Ness.
- Running miles through the Welsh countryside to take in the scenery because I couldn’t find a car or bike to rent. Being forced to slow down and take in the sights at a slower pace has left the scenes etched so clearly in my mind even years later.
- Getting transported to the real Hogwarts while visiting the actual studios where the Harry Potter movies were filmed in England.
I hope that Traveling, Writing, Blogging will spur a desire in you to venture out and see the world. I take great pleasure in sharing our adventures, personal experiences, and traveling tips for the benefit of our readers.
Travel Gear we have tested and recommend!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We will put our favorite travel gear and resources here to share with you. We hope that you find the items as useful and enjoyable as we have. If you have suggestions of travel gear items that you have used and loved please send us an email to let us know what they are. Every adventure is better with the right resources and gear. Knowing a little about the location you are traveling too can also help. Checkout our blog articles to see if anything peeks your interest. Enjoy your travels!